John R. Hall
I have over 35 years of publications experience as writer and editor, including technical writing, business reporting, creative copy writing, sales training and marketing materials, and freelance newspaper reporting. I have combined these talents with many other part-time opportunities in retail sales and customer service professions.
My writing background spans several disciplines:
- Former Communications Specialist for Clockwork Home Services, acting as head writer for special projects and marketing leader for BuyMax Alliance, an internet buying group.
- Former nationally known writer/editor for BNP Media in position as Business Editor for The Air Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration News. Weekly columnist as well as features writer, rehired as freelance writer in July 2010. Specializes now in writing for and about small business owners, i.e. heating & cooling (HVAC) contractors.
- Former senior technical writer specializing in military vehicle maintenance and repair manuals and a communications leader writing sales and technical literature for electronic and hydraulic controls.·
- Occasional guest speaker at contractor meetings talking on topics such as using the media to promote business, worker shortages, education, etc. Also hosted live webcasts for professionals in the HVACR trade. ·
- Currently a freelance business writer for Downriver Profile and Muskegon Tribune.·
- Self-published author of three books.·
- Active social network blogger on Facebook, Linkedin, and Twitter.
2/98-1/09 (see below)
Business Management Editor, BNP Media. Duties included researching, writing, editing copy for HVAC business-related articles, covering industry events and reporting on them, giving speeches and seminars on industry topics.
Freelance feature writer, rehired by BNP Media.
Freelance writer, Examiner.com (Detroit). Duties include writing online articles and blogs on local Detroit small business topics.
Freelance business reporter, Crain’s Communications. Write business articles on assignment for Detroit Crain’s Business weekly magazine.
Freelance newspaper reporter, Gannett Newspapers. Duties include writing 1-2 business articles and/or feature articles per month for local suburban Detroit newspaper.
Communications Specialist, Clockwork Home Services. Duties included writing online articles and blogs for member HVAC contractors, developing marketing materials to attract new members, working on ‘special assignments’ for management including covering industry shows.
Corporate Communications Leader, Vickers Corporation. Duties included writing maintenance, marketing, and sales literature for company products.
Senior Technical Writer, AM General Corporation. Duties included researching and updating maintenance manuals for U.S. Army tracked vehicles and creating new maintenance procedures during testing with engineering department.
Magazine editor/writer, D&F Publications. Duties included writing and editing feature articles for ‘Engraver’s Journal’ and “Recognition & Promotions Business’ magazines, where I was Senior Editor.
Retail management with two Michigan-based clothiers
Creative Contact/Copywriter, G&D Communications. Duties included working with major clients such as Ford Motor Company to develop advertising campaigns for products.
BA Journalism, Michigan State University
AA, Henry Ford Community College – Award-winning newspaper editor
Available online at www.achrnews.com, including a personal profile. Info at www.ideaperson.net. I helped create www.janethallphotography.com.
I have won the award for “Best Column – Staff Written” from the American Society of Business Publication Writers (ASBPE) three times (2001-2002, 2005).
I am proficient at all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc. I also trained on Mac Quark Express layout/design software.
Throughout most of my working life – especially since marriage and parenthood – I have held multiple positions at the same time. I am an extremely hard worker and driven to succeed, both for my professional and personal goals. I can handle many different projects at once or simply work on one and make it the very best. I have kept pace with today’s communications technology, especially online communities, while keeping a traditional respect for good customer service and always doing what is in the best interest of my employer. I have held many management positions, mostly in the retail trade for 13 years. I am an excellent leader as well as a very effective “soloist” – being able to create and complete projects on my own with limited or no supervision.